Monday, February 20, 2012

February 12 - Trip to the ER with Caden

Caden woke up with a migraine :(  He went to sleep with a headache so we were really worried when he woke up not feeling well.  He got up around 4:30 and threw up, then again at 6:45. He layed down on the couch and didn't move.  I could tell he wasn't faking it so we called the dr.  They said since it was a headache with no other symptoms and had been going on over night we needed to go straight to the Children's ER.  They said to get him a popsicle and head straight there.  Cass took the little two to church and I took him to Birmingham.  When we got on the road he covered his head with a blanket because of the light and I felt so bad for him :(  I got him a HUGE popsicle at the gas station and we were on our way.  He threw up, again, not too far into our drive.  When we were almost there, he started to feel better. I did not want to take any chances, though, so we had him checked out.  

When we walked in the ER, it was empty!  That is crazy to me because I have never seen it that way!  They took us straight back where he was immediately seen by a nurse and a resident.  She couldn't tell from looking in his eyes if there was any swelling on his brain or not so she had the dr. come check him.  They did some other tests and said he looked fine so far but they wanted to do a CT scan of his head.  Once we got up there, Caden layed very still on the table and did a great job during his test!  About 20 minutes later, the dr. came in and said everything looked great!!!  I was thankful they didn't see anything but sad for Caden that this may be the beginning of migraine headaches.  I know they are miserable when I have them and wish he didn't have to feel like that!

They let us go home after he drank two bottles of gatorade and held them down.  A two hour trip to the ER is pretty good for me!  We headed to pick up some Krispy Kreme Doughnuts for a Valentine's surprise for Cass, Calder and Bates and then headed home.  He fell asleep driving back but woke up and wanted to get Cracker Barrel for lunch.  Since he had not eaten, we stopped to use the restroom and grab some lunch to-go.  We were happy to get home in time for naps before church!

He was fine after that!  Crazy!  He went to church that night and then we all went to McAlister's for Kids Eat Free night!  The boys love to split the kids nachos and kids turkey sandwich and Bates get's a sandwich or baked potato and milk.  Cass and I split a combo so we all eat for less than 7 dollars!  It's crazy and it's delicious!  I think we'll be eating there every Sunday from now on!

No comments: