Calder was scheduled to have his tonsils taken out today and I have been DREADING it. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who tend to read articles on the internet that I shouldn't. I happened to read one about a boy that died after his came out and it has had me worked up for DAYS! I went in this morning with the understanding that if I didn't want to go through with it after talking to the dr., we could cancel. I'm SO thankful that Cass is understanding of my anxiousness. However, I know that I just need to have a little faith and get over it sometimes:)
We woke up at 5:30, got ready and then got Calder out of bed. He didn't know where we were going and since it was still dark outside, he thought we were going in the middle of the night! He kept asking questions but was all about going. We got there, got checked in and my stomach was in knots the whole time. Caden had his removed when he was Calder's age and I just remembered how horrible it was afterwards! I actually had a few little episodes of tears rolling down my cheeks but we had great nurses and an anesthesiologist that were very understanding and compassionate about it all. I talked to the dr. and decided to just get it over with so we wouldn't have to come back and do it when he was older. He said the risks were very minimal and that he hasn't ever seen anything just horrible happen (not to say it couldn't happen). He said it would take about 20 minutes so we handed him over and went to the waiting room. He decided he wanted to ride the "racecar" to the operating room and since he was loopy from the versed, he happily went away!
I, of course, was watching my watch the whole time. One of the anesthesiologists came out to say everything was going well (which I thought was really nice). In the meantime, Cass was eating a Krispy Kreme doughnut they had there and drinking some water. I couldn't even eat! In exactly 19 minutes they called our names and I was relieved. I knew they wouldn't call us so soon if there had been a complication. SO, we talked to he dr., I apologized for being a total basket case and we waited to go see him in recovery!
When we got in there, he was happy and sleeping. He curled up in my lap and kept on sleeping. We stayed until he drank some water, took some medicine and ate a popsicle. Now we're home, he's had another round of medicine (which I had flavored like grape and mixed with a tiny bit of strong grape kool-aid to make it taste better) and he is sleeping on the sofa. He has been playing on Mimi's ipad and laughing all morning. He's had yogurt, pudding and some kool-aid and says he doesn't hurt at all! I know it most likely won't stay this way but I'm praying that it does!
Mimi picked Caden up from school and took him to Chick-fil-A then to Walmart. They were gone for a while so I think they had a fun time :)
We sat outside and he watched Caden ride his bike then Cass took him on a walk around the block (he rode in his little car he had when he was younger) He ate 1 ice cream sandwich, 1 popsicle, some sweet potato and a push up at dinner and he's had a cup of kool-aid and a cup of tea! I think that's pretty good for day 1! I've also been mixing his medicine (that I had flavored grape) with a little strong grape kool-aid and he has been taking it great! He REALLY wanted some ham for dinner but we had to say no...he was begging :( He has been laughing, talking non-stop and being his normal, talkative, playful self!
We sat outside and he watched Caden ride his bike then Cass took him on a walk around the block (he rode in his little car he had when he was younger) He ate 1 ice cream sandwich, 1 popsicle, some sweet potato and a push up at dinner and he's had a cup of kool-aid and a cup of tea! I think that's pretty good for day 1! I've also been mixing his medicine (that I had flavored grape) with a little strong grape kool-aid and he has been taking it great! He REALLY wanted some ham for dinner but we had to say no...he was begging :( He has been laughing, talking non-stop and being his normal, talkative, playful self!
I'm going to try to document day by day on here in case Bates has to get his out. Hoping we learned a little about things to do better from Caden's for this time around so we can keep him comfortable!




No comments:
Post a Comment