Sunday, August 29, 2010

Caden's Trip to the DCH ER :(

Monday afternoon I felt Caden's head and he felt warm...grabbed the thermometer and it was 102.9! Gave him some tylenol and it didn't do much. He wouldn't eat anything for a few days and by Wednesday he was worse. I was worried it had to do with the bites on his legs so I called a couple of his doctors that we had seen to make sure it wasn't related to the infection in his legs. Ended up taking him to the Dr. here on Wednesday (we usually go to Birmingham because it seems to be much better up there but we have a family dr. we go to here when we're in a bind). He still had a high fever and they did a strep test and a flu test and they were both negative. The dr. changed his antibiotic to something stronger and said to come back Friday. That night while Cass was at church he started having trouble breathing and I recognized his croupy cough. SO, I called Cass and when he and Calder got home from church, Caden and I headed to the ER. 6 hours, a breathing treatment, a steroid shot and xray later, he came home (around 3 a.m.). Our sweet neighbor, Sara, came and sat with Calder so Cass could meet us up there later! It was a shady ER and had signs in the parking lot saying, "Please leave your weapons in the car". I wanted to go to Children's but didn't want to drive an hour that late at night and Dr. Whitaker told us last year when this happened to just go local with croup! The ER dr. goes to our church and took GREAT care of Caden! He's still not back to himself and he's on more medicine now but he's doing MUCH better! So thankful they could help him!
Caden's first breathing treatment! He wasn't so sure about it at first but he did MUCH better with this than his shot...he DID NOT LIKE THAT SHOT!!! It took three people to give him his shot :( Poor guy! He was a little trooper, though. Hoping this is his last ER visit for croup (or anything else for that matter!)!

Good attitude and smile even when he didn't feel good!

No comments: